Thursday, January 21, 2010

Revival and Reformation - a look at education in America

So lately, God has been really speaking to me about the importance of social justice specifically in education. I have always been one who has been passionate about the college campus. I will probably always have a passion for the campus because it has had such a profound impact in my life and changed the course of life. However, lately, I have realized something about the college campus and education in general. While most of the top leaders, world-changers, and history-makers all make there way through the college campus, consider this: In the top 130 colleges in America, only 9% of freshmen are from the lower half of the income distribution. That means over 90% of those on college campuses come from places that are, for the most part, economically well-off.

There is an achievement gap in America and children growing up in low-income communities face additional challenges that make it even more difficult for them to be successful. It is not that these students are not capable or able of being successful. They just have to overcome even more barriers and social inequalities than a student in high-income community.

So as I have pondered on these ideas lately, I asked myself, what would Jesus do about this? If you look at Jesus life, he hung out with the economically disadvantaged, and he met their tangible needs. He had compassion for people. He was unwilling to send them off without feeding them and fed five thousand of them at once. What about children? What does Jesus say about children? He said let the little children come to me. He also said that if anyone lays a hand on a child and harms them, they should tie a huge stone around their neck and be thrown in the sea. Jesus loved and met the needs of those who were poor, and he cared about children. Lately, I have asked myself. Do I really value these same things? Do I love and care about what Jesus cares about?

So what does this have to do with revival and reformation? For the past 2 years of my life, I have been tirelessly pursuing revival in my heart and in my community. I long for the day when the spirit of God revives the campuses and cities of America. But today as I sat with God, I heard him remind me that he doesn't only want revival. He wants reformation. Reformation is the transformation of society - not only part of society but every part of it from government, business, education, media, arts, family, and religion.

Lately, God has been putting on my heart this idea of reformation in education. What would that look like? Why is that important? Well as I looked into the definition of reformation, I found a very interesting definition. Definitions included "improvement in the existing form or condition of institutions or practices that are intended to make a striking change for the better in social or political or religious affairs." But the definition that really struck me was this one: "rescuing from error and returning to a rightful course - the 'reclamation of delinquent children.'" This is so crazy!!! What it basically is saying is that reformation is literally like releasing children who have gone astray back into their destiny. It reminded of the way that God caught up Jonah through a fish and released him back into his destiny to see the city of Nineveh turn back to God.

It blows my mind that the definition of reformation could speak so specially to children. God's heart is for children and those who are faceless, unseen. As I thought about the reformation of education, this thought came to my mind: What if the students who could change the world and have their lives impacted in college (just like mine) never had the chance to go to college because of their economic position. This breaks my heart. God is definitely doing something on the college campus. Revival is so near. You can sense it. You can feel it coming - like the rain; it's inevitable. But what about those students who might never go the college campus. Who will do anything about? Lately, my heart has been grappling with these questions. The thought has occurred to me: what if I could impact the life of just one student in elementary or high school that had the opportunity to go to college and experience what I experienced. What if I could just let them know how much they are worth, how much they are loved. Right now, our society is set up so that cannot easily happened. But if we could do something about it? What if we could not only bring revival to our campus, but reformation to our society? I can't help but think about what Jesus would do? But the better question now is what will you do?

You don't have to go and try to reform society all at once. You don't even have to all go in trying to reform education. Society has 7 main spheres: government, business, education, media, arts, family, and religion. Pray for revival; then take the next step and work for reformation. Revival and Reformation go hand in hand. Be aware of what is happening in the world around you. Ask yourself what Jesus would do if he were here, then go do it. That is something, I am still trying to figure out for myself, and in the process, I am getting rocked. I want Jesus' heart for people. He was an incredible man.

Jesus, I want to be more like you. I want to know your heart. Reveal yourself to us. May we see revival and reformation in our nation. Lord may you reform education. May the children you have destined for greatness not be withheld from reaching their dreams because of the inequalities in our society. Raise up leaders and visionaries who will carry your wisdom and discernment and see reformation in our society. May your children know their wort and know that they are loved.

1 comments:

Carl said...

Thanks for your comment! I am glad that you are enjoying my blog. It encourages me to keep writing knowing that people are actually reading some of my thoughts. Thanks!