Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Glimpse of God's Heart

This past week has been a breakthrough of sorts in my life. Never in my life have I been so consumed and compelled with a heart for evangelism. I never really understood it until this past week. Lately, I have been frustrated with myself because I have been too afraid to step out in faith and have intentional spiritual conversations with those around me. I have been upset at myself because I have been a constipated Christian - one who has been filled with knowledge from conferences and week to week meetings but has not put much of it into practice. I have held in all the knowledge and passion in my heart and I have not known what to do with it.

I have had this passion in my heart like which is described in Jeremiah 20:9

9 But if I say I’ll never mention the Lord
or speak in his name,
his word burns in my heart like a fire.
It’s like a fire in my bones!
I am worn out trying to hold it in!
I can’t do it!


There is something burning in me that is frustrated with holy discontent when I am not doing what my very heart burns to do. I believe that there is a desire that God has placed in each and everyone of our hearts that compels us to desire something more than just the mundane. There is a unique identity that God has given to us that breathes life into our incomparable destiny. For me, God has put a desire on my heart to see the restoration of the church.

I can't explain, but ever since God has been revealing His heart to me about seeing the church restored there has been no turning back. I remember in my sophomore year God putting on my heart to reach every club and people group on the campus. I didn't understand it then, but something was kindled in my heart. Later that year, I went to a conference and heard a guy named Jaeson Ma speak. I had heard about him before, but I didn't really know who he was. Later, I would read his book the Blueprint that talks all about planting simple churches on our campuses to reach every people group on the campus. It blew my mind away that what God had put on my heart, He had been revealing to others all around the world. God was revealing to me that when we reach the campus, we impact the world. We have a sign in our Campus Crusade meeting room. It says, "What happens here changes the world." I firmly believe that what happens here at this campus changes the entire world! We come in contact with so many students from all over the world each day on this campus. Imagine what it would look like if we reached every student group on this campus who would likewise go back to his or her home, city, or nation and win their families for Christ. I can't even imagine what that would look like.

But it starts with prayer. Luke 10:2 says, "The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few. Pray earnestly for the Lord of the Harvest to send His labors out into the harvest." We need people to respond to the calling that He has placed on our generation. But we must first respond in prayer. Prayer is the very desire of God for His people. He desires to commune with us and be desired himself. When we pray, we ask God to release His power and His spirit to set us free and step into the fullness of who he made each of us to be. There are so many things I would like to say right now, but in the past few days, as I have moved out into action in responding to God's call to share the good news with others, my eyes have caught just a glimpse of God's heart for the nations. He desires His people to know about Him, and He has chosen us to take part in telling them about Him. What an honor!!!

Thank you God!!! You have set us free!

0 comments: