Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Filipino Question: Are Filipinos Asian or Pacific Islander?

This semester I took a class on Pacific Islanders. It was really interesting to get a cultural perspective that I never really was fully aware of or understood. In learning about the Pacific Islands, I learned so much about the beauty of culture, the importance of relationships, as as well as learning about the social injustices and historical wounds that they have experienced.

Along the journey,I learned a lot about myself and my cultural identity. I realized that so much of my history and cultural identity has been covered up by titles and labels that I have blindly accepted but never questioned. As I have begun to dig deep into finding more about who I am, I have discovered a lot of things that have given me a greater appreciation for the beauty of culture and the creativity of God.

This video was a project that documented Filipino identity. I really didn't intentionally go into this project in the first place, but as I did, I began to learn a lot more about identity and how confusing it can be. But in learning about the past and remembering history, we learn so much about ourselves.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciBmVL4pels

0 comments: