Monday, December 28, 2009

More Filipino Craziness

Ahhh sooo goood! Some friends from the Ako ay Pilipino Movement are gonna be in Phoenix tonight to meet with the Filipino Community and share some of what God has placed on their hearts. God is stirring the hearts of many people to remember who they are and where they came from - to know there identity. I am praying for a powerful encounter tonight as many in the Filipino community will come face to face with reality of who God has called them to be and what He has destined them for. Its so crazy to think how all of the craziness and divine appointments of the past few weeks is culminating with an opportunity for the Filipino community to hear a prophetic message and encouragement of what He is doing to restore His people and call them back to their destiny.

As I talked to a friend earlier today, she mentioned that more and more she is realizing that missions is not about bringing a message from a point of superiority. Instead, it is about empowering people to be who God has made them to be. To go off of this, I was talking to my professor the other day about the new Filipino book called Ako ay Pilipino. When he heard that it was written by some missionaries, he asked me if the writing reflected some of the missionary mindsets of old. He was referring to some of the material we had read in our class that showed Christian missionaries forcing indigenous peoples of the Pacific Islands to give up their cultural values and traditions. I sat for a while, and I really believe that God gave me the words to speak in that moment. I mentioned that it was really interesting because what I see happening is that many missionaries I have met and come in contact with are "reminding people of who they are and not telling them who they should be." My professor was very surprised by this comment, and said that I was on to something and that I should keep delving into that idea.

It's so crazy to see what God is doing in recalling the cultural heritage of people and reminding them of their identity. At the end of the day, the pressure is off of us. We don't have to perform or try our hardest to put all the pieces together. This is something that I have been struggling a lot with lately. I have tried so hard to do things my own way and on my own time. I have failed a lot and overworked myself to the point of sickness and exhaustion. It is in these moments, that I am reminded that God loves me for who I am and not for what I do. We have a God who loves us not for what we do for Him but because of what He did for us. I am learning more and more what it means to rest in the reality that God loves me. That is our primary identity - to be loved by the King.

Check out these videos and be inspired by what God is doing amongst Filipinos as He is reminding them of who He made them to be.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dnh4VH_D0Q&feature=player_embedded




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EBd4fGXR6Q&feature=player_embedded

0 comments: