Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hard to say goodbye...

So, we are coming to an end to our crazy adventure here in Japan. It's hard to believe that it's almost over. Right now, I am typing from the "luxury" of a hotel somewhere near Mt. Fuji. I say luxury because I can get on the internet legally from the comfort of my room without stealing internet from the neighbors, getting bit by mosquitoes, or risking getting caught by the police again. We also have a t.v., couch, and table in our room -all things we didn't have in our place at Nagoya. Not that we didn't have a good situation in Nagoya. Being Japan is kind of like being spoiled - cool technology, great food, really nice people.

But right now, I definitely miss the simplicity of Nagoya. We didn't have internet, phones, or even a reliable laundry machine. We traveled a lot - over an hour to get to my campus and church - not to mention the many miles we walked. But looking back, I definitely would do it again. It's hard to express everything I feel right now. I haven't had a chance to fully soak in everything that has happened. The next two days here are all about reflecting and preparing to reenter our homes in the states.

It's going to be hard to leave this place because I feel like I'm falling in love with the people, the culture, and my team. It's hard to think that we will be leaving this place to go back to our respective homes. I say that because I feel like this has become my home in the past month. I definitely miss my family, friends, and church. Yet there is something about being here that's different. I have never been a community quite like this before. Our team has grown really close to one another living with each other, eating with other, and being with on another day to day. The JCCC staff has been great, and it's especially hard to leave the Japanese students and friends we have met along the way.

I will probably forever have this lasting image of our final moments in Nagoya. Our team was all on the bus ready to head to Mount Fuji. Outside, we were sent off by our Japanese friends Takeshi, Seiji and his family, Sho, Tetsu, Emi, and Keiko. I will never forget their smiles and the joy they always carried. As we drove away, Tetsu ran alongside the bus for about a block waving to us and bidding his final farewells. It was almost like a movie when the guy bids farewell to the lover he might never see again. And in so many ways, we have fallen in love with Japanese people, and it's been amazing to see how much they have fallen in love with us. There servant hood, sacrifice, and passion is amazing to see. It's hard to think about not coming back here again. We'll see what God has in store. So for now it's a waiting game - a time to reflect, relax, and reconsider what the future might hold, only time will tell. Three more days than back in America. It's hard to believe that the journey is almost over. It's so hard to say goodbye...

0 comments: