Sunday, July 6, 2008

Japan Update

So I'm here in Nagoya, Japan. It's seems so surreal to actually be here. I never thought I would be in Japan. When I first signed up to go on this summer project, I wasn't really sure why I was going here. But in just this one week here, God has been revealing a lot of things to me. I have come to see both my strengths and my weaknesses in many areas. I have come to love and in many ways grow attached to the Japanese culture. I see the love and the servitude here, but along with that, I see the emptiness and brokenness behind the facades of smiling faces. The persecutions of Christians by their families is heartbreaking, yet the resiliency and fervent hearts of worship of those same Christians is heartwarming. I see the vision for winning Japan for Christ. My mind races with visions, strategies, and ideas. It's like in my time here God is giving me a taste, or a brief look at the possibilities of what could happen in Asian and around the world if Japan was won for Christ.

On the other hand, this trip has been a lot about personal growth and healing. I'm coming to see more and more clearly the inadequacies and weaknesses on my part. It's like being here has allowed my life to be under a microscope where I see both my skill sets and talents but my shortcomings and failures. I have come to see the need for the own inner healing and reconciliation that must take place in my own life. On one level, this trip is about healing the broken hearts of Japanese people, but on a personal level, this trip is also about recognizing the deep rooted issues of pride and selfishness that are still holding me back from fully giving my all for God.

Deep down in my heart, I long to know the heart of God and love what He loves and have a heart for what breaks God's heart. But I see that in order for that to happen, I must be sweetly broken. And I see that gentle breaking of my pride and self-seeking slowly being chipped at. In the midst of God's goodness and sovereignty working through our lives to minister to the Japanese students, my own cracks are starting to show. But I remain hopeful because I know that in this process God is continuing to make me more complete and molded to his image. It's definitely been a roller coaster of emotions, but God definitely has continued to be faithful.

Here are some short testimonies of what God is doing here in Japan. We have had the opportunity to talk to many students here, and through those opportunities, I have had to share the gospel a couple of times. In my first conversation with a Japanese student, we were able to connect well together, and he shared a lot of insight into his life, his philosophies, and dreams. I was able to connect with him, share the Gospel, and tell him my story. It was so cool because afterwards, I asked him if he was able to understand everything that I said. He said that there were some words and ideas he couldn't understand, but he told me that it was okay because he could feel a connection between us. Earlier he told me how he tried to connect with his classmates on a deeper level but was unsuccessful because the other Japanese students were not willing to open up. So it was so great to be able to share and connect with him.

We also were able to have a fourth of July celebration where we had the chance to invite our Japanese friends. Many Japanese students showed up, but what was surprising was the people that ended up coming. The Japanese staff at Campus Crusade has been praying for more males and for more freshman to get involved with their movements. Guess who showed up to the celebration? All males and mostly all freshman. I kid you not, there were no girl students who showed up. Even the Japanese staff was surprised as they told us how usually it is the girls who come to their events. Also, we were worried about rain, but the day before we prayed that it wouldn't rain, and God answered our prayers yet again.

We also had the opportunity to plan the weekly meeting for the Japanese students. It was kind of a chaotic process not knowing the cultural norms and having difficulty with communication. But God was able to show up in a mighty way in the midst of the chaos. Albert was able to share his testimony in public for the first time, and for some of the Japanese students, it was their first time hearing the gospel. It was great to hear personal stories of God touching peoples hearts. The Japanese people are hungry, and they are yearning for more of God.

But like I said, I am still struggling in a lot of ways with my ego and my sense of control. On a fleshly level, I am holding onto my ideas and visions for what I want to see. My heart wants to be completely sold out for Jesus, but my flesh is still rooted in the things of this world. I want Japan completely sold out for Jesus, but I think God is showing me that I need to first give him my whole heart.

God, you know my joys, you know my frustrations. You know the desires of my heart. All I want is you. I want to know your presence. You tell me I must delight in you first, and you will give me the desires of my heart. Help me not to lose sight of your faithfulness; help me to remain patient in walking in your ways. I have a heart for the Japanese people, yet I don't want my desires to conflict with yours.

God bless the people of Japan. Change their hearts and open their eyes to you. Humble our hearts to be gracious servants. Help us to love from the overflow of your love for us. Help us to see the need and take action. God we are desperate for you to take over. Use our brokenness and inadequacies to reveal your glory and make your presence known. We are broken vessels - a work of progress and incomplete. But you are the Master potter, and we are the clay. Mold us and make us O Lord. This is what we pray. God bless our families, and keep them safe while we are away. You are good, God. Thanks for first loving us. Let your love pour down from the heavens. We want more and more of you. In your precious name we pray, Amen.

0 comments: